1 May 2013

Games we played as kids.



Games we played as kids.

Walking home from town today, I saw something I haven't seen in a long time, mostly because kids today spend most of their time indoors playing on computer games. Although that has changed a little recently due to the popularity of scooters. Nearly every kid I do see out playing, is on a scooter.
But what I saw on my way home today was a couple of young kids playing curby.  If you know the game, you'll know what it is immediately, and if you spent your time outdoors as a youngster, like most of us did, the chances are, you played this game at some point. For those who don't remember or know the game, here it is:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl_xBBn4Jc8]

Yes, it's that game you played with a ball, trying to hit the curb of the pavement and have the ball return to you. You got extra points if you were able to catch the ball too. Although rules to this game varied, depending on who you played it with.  It was also one of those games where you were constantly looking out to see if there were any cars coming.
Other games we played, specifically in the school yard, and I'm sure they are still played today was tig or as some called it, tag. There were many variations of this game which included line tig, statues tig and stuck in the mud.  Do you remember any of these games?
Here's some kids playing Stuck in the Mud.


Kissy catch was also another popular game, although at the age I was playing it, most girls and boys found the other sex repulsive.
What's the time, Mr Wolf is another popular playground game, and was always one of my favourites.
Then of course, there were the games more popular with the girls, which were clapping games such as the one below:

I actually still do this with my sister now and again, more out of nostalgia then anything, and to try and teach my 3 year old niece.
What games do you remember playing when you were a kid?

No comments:

Post a Comment